Sunday, October 31, 2010

An Ode to Case Managers: Goal Setting


For all my case manager friends, this one is for you. You know that goal setting can be both excruciating and exciting and the challenge to finding a way to getting someone engaged in goal setting, who has previously lived their life in a rhythm free of such a thing, is enormous. The battle to even begin thinking in terms of goal setting is 1/3 of the battle. The other 1/3 is defining a goal, and the last is actually doing the goal. So props to you for helping people get over these humps and empowering them to think in these terms. This, I feel, is a huge part of your work and unfortunately the part that doesn't always get the most credit.

Plus, don't you think someone should donate these ridiculously cute goal setting chalkboards to you? When I saw them, I couldn't help but think how useful they would have been when trying to convince a 13 year old that goal setting isn't a completely obscure and stiff thing that just didn't, in any conceivable way, fit into her life.

Next time I'm in a place where I'm trying to get a teenager to consider the effectiveness of goal setting, I may make it a DIY project, thanks to The Bright Life for the inspiration.

But until then, my 2 goals:

1. Buy some milk.
2. Finish homework.

"The trouble with not having a goal is that you can spend your life running up and down the field and never score."
Bill Copeland

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...