Friday, October 8, 2010

Charter Schools Part II

Recently I wrote about why I love and hate charter schools all in the same breath. Turns out, I'm not the only one with passionate feelings around education and the need for reform to be a united effort with collaboration from both charter and public schools. Tyler Whitmere of Portland's Stand for Children wrote a review in the Oregonian on the new movie Waiting for Superman, which is out today. In her review she pleads:

"To truly change our country's public education system, we must avoid the reflexive tendency to point fingers. We must start working together -- parents, teachers, principals, unions, advocacy groups, elected officials and members of the business community -- for real change."

Charter schools are part of the solution, but not the entire solution she argues.

I am excited to see Waiting for Superman - finally a film that will bring some of the issues in education to light. I am hoping it will stir dialogue, which would lead to action.

We are going Sunday night, if this interests you, consider joining.



I plan on posting my review on the movie next week.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...