Saturday, January 9, 2010

Uncle? NOOOO!

Younger brothers, especially when they are 8, can bring the most laughter and humor into ones life.

Today I had the joy of hanging out with my brothers and catching up on what they've been up to. They have all changed so much over the years, learning new things and developing their interests, and coming up with new questions to ask me.

My youngest has lately been asking me more personal question. Here is how our conversation unfolded:

We were sitting on the bed watching Eddie do something on the computer, when Daniel asked:

"Elena, when are you going to have a baby?"

I reply, "Someday. Why do you ask?"

"I want you to have a baby," he stated.

"Why?"

"So I can be the baby-sitter of the baby and play with him," Daniel said with a huge grin on his face. "I can help take care of him and teach him new things."

I smiled and said, "You know, if I have a baby, you are going to be the baby's uncle."

"Uncle?!" His eyes got big. "NOOOOO!"

"If I have a baby, and you are my brother then an uncle is what you will be."

"NOOOOO! NOOOO! NOOOOO!" He panicked. "I don't want to be an uncle. I am just a kid. I just want to be the baby-sitter."

At that point, Eddie joined the conversation and told Daniel that he'd have to get a mustache if he was going to be the uncle. Of course that frightened him even more.

It was priceless. Over and over, at the sound of the word "uncle" he got quite hysterical. David says its because he enjoys being a kid, and the thought of uncle represents an adult role. I suppose "baby-sitter" is one step higher than being the youngest kid in the family, which he is now.

Nevertheless, if anything, I am looking forward to the look on his face when him being an uncle become a reality. Perhaps he will outgrow the fear by then...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...